The good liar’ is a ‘wicked’ library guest

Yesterday at my little branch library we had a visit from a bonafied author (It’s alright for you to be impressed, these things don’t happen everyday around here). Gregory Maguire is a former Albany native who writes books for children and adults and is most famous for writing the book the Broadway musical, Wicked is based upon. He is in town to do a reading at our Main Library Downtown, but time was made for a reception at my library. Once upon a time, he used this library regularly.

I just wanted to say how personable, and chatty Gregory Maguire is. We talked about my favorite book by him, The good liar. He told me it was originally published in Ireland because he wasn’t able to find an American publisher at first. I’m glad it finally made it stateside. I get kids to borrow and read that book all the time, and not just the ones who read historical fiction, or the ones who need to read a book by tomorrow (it’s slim, but packs a lot in). It’s such a good book, it’s an easy sell to anyone, even adults. Book recommendations: It’s what I do. Some books are easier than others.

To change subjects slightly, meeting an author seems so much easier than meeting a rock star. Even an indie rock star. The whole cool thing just isn’t an issue for a writer, and maybe it’s also me. I look at writers as real people. From a lifetime of watching MTV (not that I’ve done that in 10 years), and reading music mags, rock stars are so otherworldly. It must be me, because I wasn’t a books reader as a kid (how did I become a children’s librarian?). I was obsessed with my radio (92.7 WLIR) and record player (an adorable red one with white plastic speakers) and did all my reading in Star Hits, Rolling Stone, and later Spin. I was so tongue tied when I met Paul Westerberg, and then as I was walking away from him, I actually got choked up(no real tears were shed, but it was very emotional).

Authors don’t seem to move me the way a singer can, I guess.